Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on March 20, 2017 at 11:33 pm Contact Tomer: [email protected] | @tomer_langer STORRS, Conn. — Alexis Peterson and Brittney Sykes did their signature high-five after the game in front of TV cameras on the far end of the court. They then wrapped arms around each other and walked shoulder-to-shoulder down toward the SU bench as the small contingent of fans, many family and friends, cheered behind them.The careers of eight-seeded Syracuse’s (22-11, 11-5 Atlantic Coast) two best players had just ended in a disappointing, 94-64, loss to top-seeded Connecticut (34-0, 16-0 American Athletic). The same team ended their season last year. Through a heavy loss, the two found each other, sharing their last moment as SU teammates together.“We wanted to go out how we came in,” Peterson said after the game. “That was just to embrace everyone and embrace our crowd and embrace each other.”Peterson was the star point guard who kept elevating her level of play each season. Sykes was a Top 10 guard in her recruiting class who had to battle back through multiple ACL injuries. This was the first season the two had played together when both were at their peaks.The hype started as early as last season. When Sykes found out that her fifth year had been approved. When head coach Quentin Hillsman told her that SU would have the best backcourt in America if she returned.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textThe duo took off from there. They led the ACC in scoring, piloting Syracuse to wins where they’d outscore the other team themselves, like in the win over then-No. 14 Miami.SU had the pressure of staying relevant, of remaining successful after last year’s run to the national title game despite the loss of five seniors. Sykes and Peterson shouldered that load and kept the Orange moving.“Life savers. They saved our lives,” Hillsman said. “When you have players that come in and play that way, they just save your program. They really elevated our program to another level.”The two played off each other all year, knowing when one had to take over the game and how their strengths worked together.Peterson said she got lost in the moment in last year’s national title game. After the first quarter today, she was SU’s best and really only consistent scoring option, as she finished with 25 points. Noticing that, Sykes and Peterson made the decision to switch roles in the third quarter. Sykes would be the one bringing the ball up the court and she’d feed Peterson in spots to score.“They’re very skilled in the backcourt,” UConn head coach Geno Auriemma said. “As individuals, they make a lot of great plays.”The two had the utmost trust from Hillsman. With that came the highest of expectations, and many instances when he would yell at them after slipping up. The two would shoot each other a look, knowing they had each other’s back despite that.With a little less than four minutes remaining, Sykes was subbed out. She didn’t realize it would be her last time walking off the court until she embraced Hillsman by the scorer’s table. As tears welled in her eyes she made her way down the SU bench, hugging every coach and player along the way.One minute later Peterson was subbed out and went through the same routine. The last player at the end of the bench this time was Sykes. The duo that led Syracuse embraced then, and as the game ended, were the last two SU players to walk off the court.They didn’t achieve their highest goal of winning a national championship. But they pioneered SU to new heights. And through the trials and tribulations of this year and the game, they left Gampel Pavilion the same way they came into the season: together.“We’re America’s best backcourt,” Sykes said. “We will forever be America’s best backcourt.” Comments
Standing in their way of a place at the summit is Connacht. Both sides’ international contingents have returned for the game at the Sportsgrounds that’s underway at 5. Today’s other Pro 12 clash is the Welsh derby meeting of the Dragons and Cardiff Blues at Rodney Parade where kick off is at 2.05.
The team that finishes with the most number of wins bags the gold medal.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next View comments Both players were earlier disqualified for allegedly violation eligibility rules.“This is a great relief for us and great morale boost for the team,” said team manager Petronilo Tigaronita.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSEnd of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legendSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’Tenedero and Sanchez were initially removed from the lineup after the hosts claimed both failed to meet the required 16-month residency rule under international standards.“But we have proof and documentation, including certification from their respective barangays that they have stayed in the Philippines since April 2016,” said teammate Francois Emmanuel Gautier, who arrived with Tigaronita ahead of the team in filing the appeal. 2 nabbed in Bicol drug stings Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles02:11SEA GAMES 2019: PH’s Nesthy Petecio boxing featherweight final (HIGHLIGHTS)08:07Athletes treated to a spectacle as SEA Games 2019 officially ends06:27SEA Games 2019: No surprises as Gilas Pilipinas cruises to basketball gold05:02SEA Games 2019: Philippines clinches historic gold in women’s basketball05:21Drama in karate: Tsukii ‘very sad’ over coach’s bullying, cold shoulder03:24PH’s James Palicte boxing light welterweight final (HIGHLIGHTS) SEA Games Gallery: August 19 Marcosian mode: Duterte threatens to arrest water execs ‘one night’ This photo taken on August 15, 2017 shows head coach Daniel Brodan (R) giving instructions to members of the Philippines men’s ice hockey team, dubbed the “Mighty Ducks”, during a practice session at a mall skating rink in Manila ahead of their games at the Southeast Asian Games (SEAGames) in Malaysia.Dubbed the “Mighty Ducks” by local media, the Philippine men’s hockey team aims to win a gold medal in next week’s games in Malaysia — a far cry from members’ days of only learning of the sport through the Disney movies. / AFP PHOTO / TED ALJIBEThe Philippines’ gold-medal bid in ice hockey got a shot in the arm after two of its key players earned the go-signal from Southeast Asian Games organizers to compete.Carlo Martin Tenedero and Paul Gabriel Sanchez have been allowed to play in the SEA Games after the country’s men’s ice hockey team won its appeal to reinstate the two Fil-Canadians in the team Saturday.ADVERTISEMENT Albay to send off disaster response team to Batangas Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. End of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legend Teen gunned down in Masbate “We only had four days to get them,” he added.The Philippines is considered to be the favorites to rule ice hockey, which is making its debut in the regional event.“If we play to our potential, I can’t see any reason why we won’t win [the gold],” said Filipino-Swiss goalkeeper Gianpetro Iseppi in an interview before the squad left for Kuala Lumpur.The Filipinos open their campaign against Indonesia on Monday at the Empire City Ice Arena in Damansara Perdana, a new commercial hub in this bustling and progressive Malaysian capital.They take on Singapore next then, Malaysia before closing out their stint against Thailand on Thursday.ADVERTISEMENT 787 earthquakes recorded in 24 hours due to restive Taal Volcano MOST READ LATEST STORIES 787 earthquakes recorded in 24 hours due to restive Taal Volcano Ai-Ai delas Alas on Jiro Manio: ‘Sana pinahalagahan niya ang naitulong ko’ Vilma Santos, Luis Manzano warn public of fake account posing as her
Kevin De Bruyne ‘loves Man City and wants to keep winning’, reveals father 1 Everton are reportedly interested in the potential signing of David Lopez from Espanyol.The Spanish defender/defensive midfielder has already caught the eye of rival LaLiga clubs Valencia and Real Betis, but now there is English involvement in the race for his signature. LATEST Latest Transfer News Arsenal transfer news LIVE: Ndidi bid, targets named, Ozil is ‘skiving little git’ Top nine Premier League free transfers of the decade targets TOP WORK REVEALED Man United joined by three other clubs in race for Erling Haaland Chelsea confident of beating Man United and Liverpool to Sancho signing Liverpool’s signings under Michael Edwards – will Minamino be the next big hit? Lopez himself is understood to be happy at Espanyol, though it is unclear if he could now be tempted with a move elsewhere.The 28-year-old played all-but-one of his club’s LaLiga matches last season, scoring one goal and claiming one assist. IN DEMAND three-way race The biggest market value losers in 2019, including Bale and ex-Liverpool star LIVING THE DREAM Lopez would be a versatile addition for Everton According to Mundo Deportivo, the sticking point with a possible transfer will likely be Lopez’s release clause.Espanyol are refusing to budge on the €40m (£35m) contractual fee, while all interested clubs are unwilling to pay such a hefty release. RANKED Cavani ‘agrees’ to join new club and will complete free transfer next summer moving on Where every Premier League club needs to strengthen in January targets Tony Cascarino backs Everton to sign two strikers for Carlo Ancelotti