Call for the release of two journalists held following raid on newspaper

first_img News Reporters Without Borders today called on the Gambian government to release The Independent’s managing director, Madi Ceesay, who has been held since a police raid on the biweekly’s offices yesterday, and its editor, Musa Saidykhan, who was arrested the previous night. The two men spent the night in the Major Crimes Unit at Banjul police station and are still being held there. RSF_en Organisation Gambia still needs to address challenges to press freedom Follow the news on Gambia August 6, 2020 Find out more News to go further March 29, 2006 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Call for the release of two journalists held following raid on newspaper July 23, 2019 Find out more News January 27, 2020 Find out more Receive email alerts News Gambia: former president must stand trial for journalist’s murder Reporters Without Borders today called on the Gambian government to release The Independent’s managing director, Madi Ceesay, who has been held since a police raid on the biweekly’s offices yesterday, and its editor, Musa Saidykhan, who was arrested the previous night.Gambia Press Union coordinator Demba Ali Jawo told Reporters Without Borders at noon today that “the two men spent the night in the Major Crimes Unit at Banjul police station and are still being held there.” While Jawo has been able to confirm where they are being detained, he has not been able to visit them. They have not so far been charged.“Gambian journalists are once again paying dearly for the contempt in which they are held by President Yahya Jammeh,” Reporters Without Borders said. “Expressing a critical opinion or publishing irritating reports are viewed as crimes of lèse-majesté in Gambia. Despite the promises it gave to the privately-owned press, Jammeh’s government continues to act in the way to which we are accustomed, with brutal repression.”The press freedom organisation added: “It is time the African Union, the European Union and the United States made President Jammeh understand that such practices are unacceptable.”Police from the Criminal Investigation Department and the elite Police Intervention Unit raided and sealed off The Independent’s offices yesterday morning, arresting all the employees who were there. Everyone was let go later in the day except Ceesay, who recently took over as managing director and who is also the Gambia Press Union’s president, and Saidykhan, who had been arrested at his home at around midnight the night before.The newspaper’s staff think the raid and arrests were prompted by a report in the 27 March issue quoting Halifa Sallah, the leader of the opposition National Alliance for Democracy and Development (NADD), as saying Jammeh was “wealthier than the Gambia” and by a column by Ceesay criticising coups, both an alleged coup plot on 21 March and the coup that brought Jammeh to power in 1994.Secretary of state for communication and information Neneh Macdouall Gaye assured the Gambian press on 14 February that, in the run-up an African Union summit due to be held in Banjul in July, the government was determined to usher in a “new era” in its relations with the privately-owned media. But at the same time, she asked journalists to “give a positive image” of Gambia.Saidykhan was previously arrested on 27 October for publicly calling on South African president Thabo Mbeki to press the Gambian government for progress in the investigation into the December 2004 murder of journalist Deyda Hydara, which is still unsolved.The Independent was the target of repeated operations by Gambia’s National Intelligence Agency (NIA) in 2003 and 2004 and its owners, fearing for their safety, live abroad. Its former editor, Abdoulie Sey, was arrested and detained illegally for several days, while the newspaper’s press was set on fire, probably by members of the presidential guard.Hydara was gunned down at the wheel of his car on the night of 16 December 2004 as he was driving two employees home. He was the co-founder and editor of The Point, a newspaper published three times a week, as well as being the Banjul correspondent of Agence France-Presse (AFP) and Reporters Without Borders.He had often been threatened for publicly criticising the government, and was under surveillance by the NIA on the night of his murder, Reporters Without Borders established in the course of two investigative visits to Banjul. Help by sharing this information Three journalist arrested, two radio stations closed in Gambia GambiaAfrica GambiaAfrica last_img read more

US needs 4M homes to meet demand from buyers

first_img Full Name* Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on LinkedinShare via Email Share via Shortlink Share via Shortlink Message* Email Address* While demand for homes usually decreases during a recession, giving builders more time to build, the pandemic had the opposite effect. Some people fled the city, opting for more space where they could work remotely. The pandemic also led to supply chain delays that slowed down construction of new homes.Now, home builders would need to construct as many as 1.2 million single-family homes per year to meet long-term demand, a National Association of Home builders chief economist told the publication.The shortage is bad news for millennials: Homeownership rates are rising among those in that generation, generally viewed as those between the ages of 24 and 40, Business Insider reported. The millennial homeownership rate grew to 47.9 percent from 40 percent three years ago, according to Apartment List’s Homeownership report.Experts told Insider that the existing housing inventory could run out by May. Owners are holding on to their homes, worried they won’t be able to find an affordable replacement, the publication reported.[WSJ, Insider] — Cordilia JamesContact Cordilia James home salesHousing MarketResidential Real Estate Tags The housing market needs 3.8 million single-family homes to meet current demand (iStock)The U.S. is facing an unprecedented housing shortage — one that’s creating problems for millennials.The housing market needs 3.8 million single-family homes to meet current demand, according to an analysis by Freddie Mac, first reported by the Wall Street Journal. That’s 52 percent higher than 2018, when the mortgage company first began looking at housing shortages.While the shortage was exacerbated by pandemic-related moratoriums and investors turning starter homes into single-family rentals, the main problem stems from a lack of housing production over the past decade, according to the report.“This is what you get when you underbuild for 10 years,” said Sam Khater, Freddie Mac’s chief economists.ADVERTISEMENTRead moreIt’s never been more expensive to buy a home in the US National home sales jump 20% in June There’s a scramble to refinance and buy new homes last_img read more

The Latest: UNC fall sports still on despite remote learning

first_imgMore AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports “Our league governors decided today it is in the best long-term interests of the CFL to concentrate on the future,” Commissioner Randy Ambrosie said in a statement.“We are absolutely committed to 2021, to the future of our league and the pursuit of our vision of a bigger, stronger, more global CFL.”Unlike other major leagues in North America, the CFL does not have the luxury of a billion-dollar television contract. While its deal with TSN has become more lucrative over the years, the CFL remains a gate-driven league — a major problem when fans aren’t allowed in the stands.___Mississippi starting center Eli Johnson says he won’t play football this season. The Riley County Commission reviewed the rest of Kansas State’s return-to-play protocols, too. Fans will be required to wear face coverings where 6 feet of social distancing cannot be maintained. Tailgating will not be permitted in parking lots controlled by the school. There will be no reentry. There also will be hand sanitizing stations and other protective measures.One plus for fans: With the elimination of tailgating and reentry, the school will allow beer and wine to be purchased in general seating sections for the first time. Alcohol sales had been limited to luxury suites.___The CFL has canceled its 2020 season because of the COVID-19 pandemic. It marks the first year the Grey Cup won’t be presented since 1919.The nine-team league announced the move Monday, dashing hopes of a shortened season in the hub city of Winnipeg, Manitoba. The decision comes after the CFL couldn’t solve a number of issues in an effort to try to salvage a season. The Latest: UNC fall sports still on despite remote learning Johnson announced on Twitter that he’ll sit out the season and focus on completing his master’s degree in criminal justice in December.The Southeastern Conference allows players to opt out of the season because of COVID-19 and remain on scholarship.Johnson started all 12 games last season, allowing only one sack. His father, David, was hospitalized this summer because of the virus.“I will be forever grateful for my time here at Ole Miss,” Johnson wrote Sunday night on Twitter. “God bless and Hotty Toddy.”___ Due to the situation surrounding COVID-19, the United States Tennis Association has canceled all national junior events through Oct. 12.The USTA also has canceled all adult Category 1 events, comprising the Adult, Open, Family, and Age divisions, through the end of the year.The decision to cancel was made to ensure the health and safety of all those involved since interstate travel required for the tournaments carries an increased risk of contracting the disease. The USTA said different regulations, restrictions and quarantine periods at the sites of the events and in the home states of the players were considered. ___ The Kansas City Chiefs will limit capacity of Arrowhead Stadium to 22% when they begin defense of their Super Bowl title, which equates to about 17,000 fans at what is considered one of the toughest environments in the NFL.The club announced its plans along with ticketing information for its first three games on Monday after consulting with officials from The University of Kansas Health System. Tickets will be sold in “grouped pods of seats” beginning next week. Only the first three home games — against the Texans, Patriots and Raiders — will go on sale initially to season ticket holders. The Chiefs said guidance from local and public health officials will determine capacity all the season.While the Chiefs plan to allow tailgating, fans will be limited to the area directly behind their vehicle and with fans who have tickets in their pods. They are encouraged to wear face coverings, which are mandatory inside the stadium, and to use proper social distancing throughout game days.___ The school announced the move to online-only instruction on Monday after reporting four coronavirus clusters involving student housing or a fraternity since Friday. UNC’s athletics department later issued a statement saying athletes will continue to take classes online and be able to participate in workouts while following safety protocols.Athletes can choose to remain in current residences either on or off the Chapel Hill campus.UNC is a member of the Atlantic Coast Conference, which has announced plans to begin its football and other fall sports seasons the week of Sept. 7.“We are still expecting to play this fall, and we will continue to evaluate the situation in coordination with the university, the ACC, state and local officials, and health officials,” UNC’s athletics department said in the statement. “The health and safety of our student-athletes, coaches and staff, and community remains our priority.”___ Auburn football coach Gus Malzahn says his players have had 33 positive tests for COVID-19 this summer.Malzahn says one staff member also tested positive earlier this summer. The Tigers and other Southeastern Conference teams opened preseason camp Monday ahead of a season scheduled to start on Sept. 26.Malzahn says Auburn had no positive tests last week, but four players are still going through the testing protocols. He expects results back by the end of the week.He says the school has administered 863 tests among players, an average of more than seven times each. Staffers have had five tests each.Linebacker Chandler Wooten and backup defensive back Traivon Leonard have opted out playing this season.center_img August 17, 2020 ___Soccer’s U.S. Open Cup has been canceled this year because of the COVID-19 pandemic.The 2020 tournament was suspended in early March shortly before it was supposed to kick off. The final was to be held on either Sept. 22 or 23.Officially called the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup, it is the longest-running soccer tournament in the United States and gives amateur teams a chance to take on the pros, setting up the chance for an intriguing Cinderella team to advance far into the tournament. The winner earns a spot in the Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football’s Champions League.The U.S. Soccer Federation announced Monday that the Open Cup couldn’t be staged this year because the pandemic affected teams’ ability to travel, limited or eliminated fans at games, and necessitated strict testing protocols. The teams that were invited to participate this year will be invited next year instead.There is no decision yet on how to allocate the CONCACAF Champions League slot that typically goes to the tournament champion.___Kansas State will allow 25% capacity at its football stadium for games this season after getting approval Monday from the county commission. That means a maximum crowd of just under 15,000 fans.The Big 12 Conference is allowing schools to set their own attendance policies based on local jurisdictions. There will be no fans at Atlanta’s Mercedes-Benz Stadium for NFL and MLS games played in September. The Atlanta Falcons and Atlanta United say the coronavirus pandemic forced the decision.The teams say they will continue to collaborate with local and national health officials before deciding on the possibility for fans in games after September.The Falcons will play at least two home games without fans — against Seattle on Sept. 13 and against Chicago on Sept. 27.“The health and safety of our fans is our top priority,” said Steve Cannon, CEO of the Falcons and Atlanta United owner Arthur Blank’s sports and entertainment group. Cannon said the decision was made “after thoughtful consideration and collaboration.”Atlanta United previously announced there would be no fans for three games: Aug. 22 against Nashville SC, Aug. 29 against Orlando City SC and Sept. 2 against Inter Miami CF. Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___The University of North Carolina says it still plans to play sports this fall after canceling in-person undergraduate classes in favor of remote instruction amid the coronavirus pandemic. Associated Press ___Furman of the Division I Southern Conference is postponing all fall nonconference sports due to the coronavirus pandemic.Athletic director Jason Donnelly said Monday the decision came after last week’s announcement that the league was pushing all its fall conference athletic competition and championships to the spring. Furman plays football in the Championship Subdivision.Donnelly says the school in Greenville, South Carolina, made the decision to protect the health and safety of student-athletes, coaches and staff, and fans.___last_img read more