Call for the release of two journalists held following raid on newspaper

first_img News Reporters Without Borders today called on the Gambian government to release The Independent’s managing director, Madi Ceesay, who has been held since a police raid on the biweekly’s offices yesterday, and its editor, Musa Saidykhan, who was arrested the previous night. The two men spent the night in the Major Crimes Unit at Banjul police station and are still being held there. RSF_en Organisation Gambia still needs to address challenges to press freedom Follow the news on Gambia August 6, 2020 Find out more News to go further March 29, 2006 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Call for the release of two journalists held following raid on newspaper July 23, 2019 Find out more News January 27, 2020 Find out more Receive email alerts News Gambia: former president must stand trial for journalist’s murder Reporters Without Borders today called on the Gambian government to release The Independent’s managing director, Madi Ceesay, who has been held since a police raid on the biweekly’s offices yesterday, and its editor, Musa Saidykhan, who was arrested the previous night.Gambia Press Union coordinator Demba Ali Jawo told Reporters Without Borders at noon today that “the two men spent the night in the Major Crimes Unit at Banjul police station and are still being held there.” While Jawo has been able to confirm where they are being detained, he has not been able to visit them. They have not so far been charged.“Gambian journalists are once again paying dearly for the contempt in which they are held by President Yahya Jammeh,” Reporters Without Borders said. “Expressing a critical opinion or publishing irritating reports are viewed as crimes of lèse-majesté in Gambia. Despite the promises it gave to the privately-owned press, Jammeh’s government continues to act in the way to which we are accustomed, with brutal repression.”The press freedom organisation added: “It is time the African Union, the European Union and the United States made President Jammeh understand that such practices are unacceptable.”Police from the Criminal Investigation Department and the elite Police Intervention Unit raided and sealed off The Independent’s offices yesterday morning, arresting all the employees who were there. Everyone was let go later in the day except Ceesay, who recently took over as managing director and who is also the Gambia Press Union’s president, and Saidykhan, who had been arrested at his home at around midnight the night before.The newspaper’s staff think the raid and arrests were prompted by a report in the 27 March issue quoting Halifa Sallah, the leader of the opposition National Alliance for Democracy and Development (NADD), as saying Jammeh was “wealthier than the Gambia” and by a column by Ceesay criticising coups, both an alleged coup plot on 21 March and the coup that brought Jammeh to power in 1994.Secretary of state for communication and information Neneh Macdouall Gaye assured the Gambian press on 14 February that, in the run-up an African Union summit due to be held in Banjul in July, the government was determined to usher in a “new era” in its relations with the privately-owned media. But at the same time, she asked journalists to “give a positive image” of Gambia.Saidykhan was previously arrested on 27 October for publicly calling on South African president Thabo Mbeki to press the Gambian government for progress in the investigation into the December 2004 murder of journalist Deyda Hydara, which is still unsolved.The Independent was the target of repeated operations by Gambia’s National Intelligence Agency (NIA) in 2003 and 2004 and its owners, fearing for their safety, live abroad. Its former editor, Abdoulie Sey, was arrested and detained illegally for several days, while the newspaper’s press was set on fire, probably by members of the presidential guard.Hydara was gunned down at the wheel of his car on the night of 16 December 2004 as he was driving two employees home. He was the co-founder and editor of The Point, a newspaper published three times a week, as well as being the Banjul correspondent of Agence France-Presse (AFP) and Reporters Without Borders.He had often been threatened for publicly criticising the government, and was under surveillance by the NIA on the night of his murder, Reporters Without Borders established in the course of two investigative visits to Banjul. Help by sharing this information Three journalist arrested, two radio stations closed in Gambia GambiaAfrica GambiaAfrica last_img read more

Centennial: Russell celebrates 100th birthday among friends, family

first_img Published 3:00 am Tuesday, January 6, 2015 Print Article Latest Stories “I’ve tried to be a good neighbor and do right by everybody,” he said. “My friends have done right by me.”Russell said he has no real secret for a long life but good clean living is the best way he can think of to live one’s life.“One hundred years is a long time and I’m thankful for it,” he said.Gov. Robert Bentley signed a certificate of recognition for Russell’s milestone birthday and congratulated him on a legacy that is testament to those “who have come before us and those who hold the keys to the future.”Russell’s niece Cathy McKinney said her uncle is indeed a remarkable individual.“Uncle Obie lives by himself,” McKinney said. “He gets up every morning and makes a cup of coffee and has instant grits or oatmeal. He said his house is not big enough for two families and he’ll let us know when he needs permanent company.”McKinney said Russell has millions of friends and he has a lot of visitors.“He still drives but he knows his limitations,” she said. “He drives to the cemetery and up to Bubba Dendy’s store at Shady Grove, places like that.”Russell doesn’t worry about getting stopped by law enforcement. After all, he is the mayor of Briar Hill.“He plans to get his driver’s license renewed this month and, when he goes to the courthouse, he’ll have to take his knife out of his pocket before he goes in,” McKinney said. “Uncle Obie said every country boy needs a pocketknife.”Russell has a 1995 S-10 pickup truck that McKinney was driving when the brakes went out.“I took the truck to Tucker’s Garage to get the brakes fixed and it needed new tires,” she said. “But, we didn’t get the tires with the 80,000-mile warranty. Uncle Obie thought the ones with the 40,000-mile warranty would do him. Book Nook to reopen Skip Md: Do This Immediately if You Have Diabetes (Watch) Obie Russell shakes hands with one of the many guests at his 100th birthday party.MESSENGER PHOTO/JAINE TREADWELLA 100th celebration of life can be whatever the centenarian wants it to be.Obie Russell of the Briar Hill community wanted to spend Sunday afternoon with his family and friends at Oak Bowery Church of Christ and then go home and take a nap.Forget the nap. Russell’s 100th birthday celebration was a blowout. The church couldn’t hold all of those who wanted to congratulate Russell on reaching a remarkable milestone.“I’ve been blessed to have so many friends,” Russell said. “My family and friends have made me a rich and happy man.”Art McKnatt said Russell is a remarkable individual — as remarkable as the milestone he has reached. Pike County Sheriff’s Office offering community child ID kits Email the author You Might Like IN REPAIR: Lewis’s bouncing back after fire took home just days before Christmas The Lewis family — Jerry, Amy, Kristen, Colten and Kyle — lost their home to a fire Dec. 23. Amy… read more Troy falls to No. 13 Clemson Sponsored Content Centennial: Russell celebrates 100th birthday among friends, family “He has had a positive influence on everyone he knows,” McKnatt said. “His life is well lived. Everybody respects and appreciates Mr. Obie.”Russell said he never gave any thought to how long his life would be.“I just lived it one day at a time and the best I could,” he said, with a smile. “I’ve been blessed to live this long. The Lord has been good to me.”Russell said it has always been important to him to be a good community servant. Plans underway for historic Pike County celebration By Blood Sugar Blaster By Jaine Treadwell Remember America’s heroes on Memorial Day Around the WebMd: Do This Immediately if You Have Diabetes (Watch)Blood Sugar BlasterIf You Have Ringing Ears Do This Immediately (Ends Tinnitus)Healthier LivingHave an Enlarged Prostate? Urologist Reveals: Do This Immediately (Watch)Healthier LivingWomen Only: Stretch This Muscle to Stop Bladder Leakage (Watch)Healthier LivingRemoving Moles & Skin Tags Has Never Been This EasyEssential HealthTop 4 Methods to Get Fortnite SkinsTCGThe content you see here is paid for by the advertiser or content provider whose link you click on, and is recommended to you by Revcontent. As the leading platform for native advertising and content recommendation, Revcontent uses interest based targeting to select content that we think will be of particular interest to you. We encourage you to view your opt out options in Revcontent’s Privacy PolicyWant your content to appear on sites like this?Increase Your Engagement Now!Want to report this publisher’s content as misinformation?Submit a ReportGot it, thanks!Remove Content Link?Please choose a reason below:Fake NewsMisleadingNot InterestedOffensiveRepetitiveSubmitCancellast_img read more

Man in Suffolk Corrections Officer Death Freed on Bail

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Anthony OddoneAnthony Oddone, whose manslaughter conviction in the choking death of a Southampton bar bouncer was overturned this month, will spend the holidays at home after he was released on bail Monday in advance of his new trial.The 31-year-old was freed on $500,000 bail as he awaits a re-trial on manslaughter charges stemming from the fatal Aug. 7, 2008 bar fight in which off-duty Suffolk County Corrections Officer Andrew Reister, moonlighting as a bouncer at Southampton Publick House, was left brain dead, dying two days later.The fight started when Oddone and a woman were dancing on a table top and he refused Reister’s request to get down. A year later, Oddone was found guilty of manslaughter and sentenced in April 2010.But, earlier this month, a New York State Appellate Court overturned the verdict and ordered a new trial.At issue was the court’s refusal to allow the defense to refresh the recollection of a witness, Megan Flynn, who had told an insurance company investigator that the duration of the fight she witnessed lasted “maybe 6 to 10 seconds.” Flynn, a waitress at the bar, testified that what she observed could have lasted longer.“I didn’t have a watch,” she said, according to court documents. “I wasn’t keeping track of time. But it could have been a minute or so. I don’t know.”Oddone’s attorneys tried to show Flynn her previous statement to “refresh her recollection” in court but the judge ruled that she had “given no indication she needs her memory refreshed,” according to court documents.“We agree with defendant that the restriction placed on his questioning of Flynn was error requiring new trial,” the appeals court wrote in its unanimous decision.Oddone is scheduled to appear back in court Feb. 5.last_img read more