PORT-OF-SPAIN, Trinidad (CMC):West Indies Twenty20 captain, Darren Sammy, has assured the region his squad will not boycott the upcoming T20 World Cup in India next month.Fears the 15-man squad would opt out of the March 8 to April 3 tournament were heightened over the past week when it emerged that yet another contract dispute with the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) was simmering.Writing on the players’ behalf, Sammy told the WICB that the new contracts pay structure was unacceptable, arguing that it represented between a 50 and 80 per cent reduction in earnings.However, in an interview with a radio station on Thursday, he said the squad had never considered skipping the event and were committed to playing even though their concerns were yet to be resolved.”I would like to let it be known that not at any given time did the West Indies team think about not going to the Cricket World Cup,” Sammy said categorically.”We’ve all made it clear that we were going to play the World Cup. At the end of the day, we are professionals, we are paid to play cricket. Iit is our job, it is our life. We just had some issues, some questions we wanted to ask and we asked them, and we’ve just not gotten a response.WORLD CUP A PRIORITY”But we want to assure the Caribbean that playing the World Cup has been at the forefront of all the players’ minds and we will do whatever we can in our power to go out there and win the World Cup for the Caribbean people.”Players complained that under the new pay structure, their guaranteed income for the upcoming World Cup stood at a mere US$27,600.In the past, the lowest paid player was guaranteed nearly US$60,000, with the highest paid player raking in US$137,000.The WICB hit back by outlining the new International Cricket Council (ICC) pay system, which now sees funds to ICC members disbursed over an eight-year period instead of for specific tournaments.Further, the board pointed out that it had, along with players’ union WIPA, the International Cricketers Association and a representative from the International Cricket Council (ICC), engaged in mediation last year to hammer out the new agreement for players – which was then communicated to them.Sammy said even though players would go ahead with the tour, serious concerns remained over the agreement and noted that the WICB and the players needed to continue communication on the matter.”The issues we raised, the questions we asked, when we come out of the cricket, the younger players will get experience and come out and ask the same set of questions, so you need to find a common ground where both parties are happy or we need to find a way to communicate better,” the all-rounder advised.”We must put our egos aside. At the end of the day, the board cannot do without the players and the players need our cricket board in order for things to function.”Sammy said that for many of the seasoned players on the squad, the T20 World Cup could prove to be their final ICC event and this was extra motivation to lift the title.”It’s the format that we’re best at. We cannot ignore that. I believe the squad that has been picked is very capable of going to India and winning the World Cup,” he said.STRATEGISING WITH COACH”We all will be coming from playing cricket … we will have a lot of cricket matches under our belt, and I can’t wait for the opportunity to strategise with coach, Phil Simmons, in order to plan the way we’re going to win the World Cup.”He added: “I know we’re painted … to be a certain type of cricketers, but this could be an end of an era where Dwayne Bravo, Darren Sammy – from Under-15 and Under-19 (level) in West Indies team; this could be the last ICC event that most of these players could be playing so we all are motivated.”I know from speaking to the guys, we will give it our best shot, and hopefully, we can repeat what we did in Sri Lanka (in 2012) in India.”
In the Seniors grouping, Greg Pallister remains out front. He improved on his 77 yesterday by shooting 75 today, for an overall score of 152. He has a healthy lead over Larry London who is nine back at 161 after a round of 79. In third is Bruce Craig. He shot 81 for a score of 163.Pearl Pimm leads the Ladies flight after a second consecutive 91. She has a big lead over Kelly Smeeth in second spot who sits at 193, after a round of 102. Third belongs to Cheryl Lequiere. She shot 104 on the day to sit at 198.Tomorrow is the final round of the NAPA Auto Parts Peace Country Open, with the first golfers teeing off shortly after 8 a.m. Eggers shot 73 on his round today for a combined total of 144. He carded 35 on the front nine, and 38 on the back nine of the course. Sitting in second place with a total of 147 is Larry Ramstead. It took him 36 strokes to get through the front nine, and 37 on the final stretch as he shot 73 for his second round. In third place heading into the final round tomorrow is Dave Callum who netted a 75 for the second consecutive day. He shot 37 and 38 over the front and back nine of the course.Stefan Brandman holds onto top spot for another day. He shot 77, for a two day total of 155. He came away with 37 on the front nine, and 40 on the back nine. Second spot belongs to Jake Lane after he carded a 79 to sit at 157. He shot a solid 36 on the front nine, and 39 over the final nine holes. In third is Peter DeBruyn. He’s seven shots back of the leader with 162 after two days. He shot 36 and 44, on his way to a round of 80.In the second flight, Dave L’Hirondelle now holds first place after an 81, for a two day total of 163. He holds a two shot lead over yesterday’s leader John Tanchuk who carded an 85, and 165 overall. L’Hirondelle shot 40, and 41 over the front and back nine of the course, while Tanchuk shot 40 and 45. Justin Taylor is third with a total of 171. He came away with 42 on the front nine, and 45 on the back nine, enroute to a round of 87.- Advertisement -There’s a two way tie for top spot in the third flight between Brett Young and Walter Trask. Young shot 84 today for a total of 164, while Trask shot a round of 80. Young managed to get through the first nine holes in 40 strokes, and the back in 44, while Trask shot 40 on both the front and back nine. Blair Karasiuk is five shots back with a total of 169. He shot 83 today, with a 41 on the front, and 42 on the back nine.Morris Paquette has moved into first in the fourth flight after a round of 79 gave him a total of 165. He shot 38 and 41 on the front and back nine of the course. Second belongs to Dave Buziak with a 168. He came away with 82 today, and managed to shoot 38 on the front nine, and 44 on the back nine. Third belongs to Derek Moore with 173. He shot an 82, after carding 91 yesterday. Robin DeRose and Rudy Paquette are tied going into the final round in the fifth flight. DeRose shot 94 today, while Paquette countered with 90. Both golfers sit at 182. Vince Trudgeon remains in third at 187. He shot 92, with 49 of those coming on the front nine and 43 on the back nine.Advertisement
Underneath the clipper, the tiny light shines up under the baby’s nail illuminating the nail bed so a parent can cut the nails while the baby is sleeping. A guard around the clipper protects the baby’s finger tips from the clipper blades. “I was always struggling with him to cut his nails,” Gadbois said. “He hated it so I would always do it after he’d fallen asleep.” Gadbois worked in real estate and as a school bus driver before joining the class of “mom-preneurs” – other stay-at-home mothers who have created their own businesses or inventions, she said. The process included learning about merchant accounts, patents, product packaging, prototypes, warehousing, business licensing, incorporating and more. To save money, Gadbois designed her own packaging and went to China to hire a manufacturer. “Just to create the steel mold to make the plastic handle was going to cost between $29,000 and $40,000 in the U.S.,” she said. For the packaging, Gadbois visited baby stores to study designs and to see what product and safety information was typically included on packages. She even studied marketing to learn how to attract a customer’s attention quickly. Along the way, Gadbois encountered what she called “real creeps” or “lemons” – people who tried to steal her idea. “It’s not in my nature to be secretive, but as soon as I decided to pursue this, I didn’t want to tell people for fear they’d rip me off,” she said. [email protected] (562) 698-0955, Ext. 3029 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Her journey from idea to reality, however, was longer and more arduous than she ever imagined. “You have no idea of all that’s involved to get even a little plastic tool like this to market,” said Gadbois, 41, who launched her “Baby Light & Clip” six weeks ago. “I’ve never done anything like it. But I kept walking my way through it and got closer and closer. “Once you’re in so deep, you must keep going,” she added. Gadbois said the whole process has taken more than six years and “thousands of dollars.” Her son Tor is now 7. The Baby Light & Clip consists of a child’s nailclipper embedded inside a 3-inch plastic handle that holds a AA battery and a tray that collects the clippings. WHITTIER – After nearly chopping the tips off her baby son’s fingers with nailclippers one night, exasperated Whittier mom Laurie Gadbois said “Someone should invent a clipper with a light on it,” she recalled. But rather than let her frustration rest, the Whittier resident began searching the Internet for a lighted clipper. When she came up empty, Gadbois decided to invent one – just in time for Mother’s Day. Gadbois has launched her product in various local baby stores – including “Rattle N’ Roll” in Uptown Whittier – and nationally at some chain and online stores. Carolyn Guess, owner of USA Baby in San Dimas, said she has already sold out of her first shipment of Baby Lights and has ordered a second batch. She sells the clips for $9.99.
Earlier, Infantino had insisted that FIFA had been transformed into an organisation “synonymous with credibility” as he addressed representatives of the 211 member federations, before the Women’s World Cup begins in the French capital on Friday.“Today nobody talks about crises, nobody talks about rebuilding FIFA from scratch, nobody talks about scandals, nobody talks about corruption, we talk about football,” insisted the Swiss-Italian lawyer, formerly secretary general of UEFA.“The very least we can say is that we have turned the situation around.“In three years and four months, this organisation went from being toxic, almost criminal, to being what it should be, an organisation that develops football, an organisation that cares about football.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Infantino waved in for second term as FIFA presidentPARIS, France, June 5 – Gianni Infantino was re-elected Wednesday by acclamation for a second term as FIFA president at the Congress of world football’s governing body in Paris.The 49 year-old, who took charge of FIFA in February 2016 after the departure of the disgraced Sepp Blatter, stood unopposed for a new four-year term which will run until 2023.