New Donegal electoral boundaries revealed

first_img WhatsApp WhatsApp Pinterest The new Donegal electoral boundaries have been revealed.Changes include that Inishowen is to be split in two but both remaining in one district while the same with Letterkenny and Milford.The Committee is recommending a division of the county into 7 local electoral areas, to be formed around the following; Letterkenny, Donegal, Carndonagh, Glenties, Milford, Buncrana and Lifford- Stranorlar.The Committee’s recommendations are summarised as follows:The Committee recommends that the Municipal Districts in Donegal are constituted as follows:Donegal Municipal District – comprising Donegal local electoral areaGlenties Municipal District – comprising Glenties local electoral areaInishowen Municipal District – comprising Buncrana and Carndonagh local electoral areasLetterkenny – Milford Municipal District – comprising of Letterkenny and Milford local electoral areasLifford – Stranorlar Municipal District – comprising Lifford- Stranorlar local electoral area Homepage BannerNews Google+ Twitter Facebook Arranmore progress and potential flagged as population grows Pinterest Loganair’s new Derry – Liverpool air service takes off from CODA Previous articleHarps seek upset against leaders UCD – Gareth HarkinNext articleJason Quigley pays tribute to Brendan Ingle News Highland center_img Nine til Noon Show – Listen back to Monday’s Programme Publicans in Republic watching closely as North reopens further Google+ RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Important message for people attending LUH’s INR clinic New Donegal electoral boundaries revealed Facebook By News Highland – June 14, 2018 Community Enhancement Programme open for applications Twitterlast_img read more

US, European COVID-19 vaccine developers pledge to uphold testing rigor

first_imgTopics : The other signatories were Johnson & Johnson, Merck & Co, Moderna, Novavax, Sanofi and BioNTech.The promise to play by established rules underlines a highly politicized debate over what action is needed to rein in COVID-19 quickly and to jumpstart global business and trade.Partners BioNTech and Pfizer could unveil pivotal trial data as early as October, potentially placing them at the center of caustic US politics before the Nov. 3 presidential election.”It is playing out to be a very bitter and emotionally-charged election,” said Joseph Kim, chief executive officer at San Diego-based vaccine developer Inovio Pharmaceuticals Inc, which was not asked to sign the document. “The pledge, without being political, is saying we are going to put the safety and health of the public forward as the No. 1 priority.” Nine leading US and European vaccine developers pledged on Tuesday to uphold the scientific standards their experimental immunizations will be held against in the global race to contain the coronavirus pandemic.The companies, including Pfizer, GlaxoSmithKline and AstraZeneca, issued what they called a “historic pledge” after a rise in concern that safety and efficacy standards might slip in the rush to find a vaccine.The companies said in a statement they would “uphold the integrity of the scientific process as they work towards potential global regulatory filings and approvals of the first COVID-19 vaccines”.center_img The head of the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) said last month COVID-19 vaccines may not necessarily need to complete Phase 3 clinical trials – large-scale testing intended to demonstrate safety and efficacy – as long as officials are convinced the benefits outweigh the risks.This prompted a call for caution from the World Health Organization (WHO).Developers globally have yet to produce large-scale trial data showing actual infections in participants, yet Russia granted approval to a COVID-19 vaccine last month, prompting some Western experts to criticize a lack of testing.The head of China’s Sinovac Biotech has said most of its employees and their families have already taken an experimental vaccine developed by the Chinese firm under the country’s emergency-use program.Chinese companies or institutions, which are involved in several leading vaccine projects, did not sign the statement.Promise on safety and efficacy”We want it to be known that also in the current situation we are not willing to compromise safety and efficacy,” said co-signatory Ugur Sahin, chief executive BioNTech.”Apart from the pressure and the hope for a vaccine to be available as fast as possible, there is also a lot of uncertainty among people that some development steps may be omitted here.”President Donald Trump has said it is possible the United States will have a vaccine before the November election.The nine companies said they would follow established guidance from expert regulatory authorities such as the FDA.Among other hurdles, approval must be based on large, diverse clinical trials with comparative groups that do not receive the vaccine in question. Participants and those working on the trial must not know which group they belong to, according to the pledge.BioNTech’s Sahin said there must be statistical certainty of 95%, in some cases higher, and that a positive reading on efficacy does not come just from random variations but reflects the underlying workings of the compound.The development race has intensified safety concerns about an inoculation, polls have shown.Western regulators have said they would not cut corners but rather prioritize the review workload and allow for development steps in parallel that would normally be handled consecutively.Sahin declined to comment on regulators specifically or on what events prompted the joint statement.The chief executive of German vaccine developer Leukocare, which did not sign the pledge, was more forthright.”What Russia did – and maybe also there are tendencies in the US to push the approval of a vaccine which has not been sufficiently developed in clinic – bears a huge risk,” said CEO Michael Scholl.”My biggest fear is that we will approve vaccines that are not safe and that will have a negative impact on the concept of vaccinations in general.”last_img read more

Transfer: Mikel’s Chelsea Exit Imminent

first_imgAlready, a very close confidant of the Chelsea midfielder admitted at the weekend that Obi and his managerial team are currently perusing all the offers on the table with the hope of picking the ‘most suitable’ of them all.“He is not looking for a club to win more trophies again. He is looking for a club, who will give him the right money. That is the more reason the agents are now carefully studying the offers tabled by all the clubs interested in his services,” revealed the close confidant of Mikel to Africanfootball.com.“He has achieved all what he can in football, so he needs the money now.”Two seasons ago, Mikel demanded a salary of six million dollars tax-free a year if he were to quit Stamford Bridge.It is already understood that Inter Milan has tabled a bigger offer than Olympique Marseille for the Nigeria skipper.Four top Chinese clubs as well as top French club Marseille and Milan rivals Inter and AC Milan are believed to be in the hunt for the experienced midfielder.The 29-year-old Mikel has outdone the legendary Nwankwo Kanu as the most decorated Nigeria star after he won both the UEFA Champions League and Europa League as well as two Premier League titles, four FA Cup and two League Cup winners’ medals.Just last summer, Mikel led Nigeria’s Dream Team VI to win Nigeria’s only medal -a bronze, in the men’s Olympic football event in Rio, Brazil.It is generally believed that Mikel is paying for the ‘sin’ of going to the Olympic when a new manager stepped into the saddle at Stamford Bridge. He has remained frozen out of action since the beginning of the current season.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Femi Solaja with agency reportIt is apparently becoming clear to fans of English Premiership club, Chelsea that Super Eaglers Captain, John Mikel Obi, will be among the first set of players to be shipped out when the winter transfer window opens in just matter of days.last_img read more