Chelle Klein, new owner of El Chili Verde.Mi Casita takes over where La Fiesta used to be.by Tracy McCue, Sumner Newscow â€” As required by law, the Wellington City Council approved the re-issuing of Cereal Malt Beverages licenses for two Mexican Restaurants in town because those businesses are experiencing ownership changes.La Fiesta Restaurant in Wellington is no more. The business was recently bought by Sonia and Jose Lozano. The restaurant has been renamed Mi Casita Inc. Restaurant (meaning little house) located at 1104 North A Street.In downtown Wellington, JoAnn Buckman, who has been the owner of El Chili Verde, a venerable family restaurant in downtown for 20 years, is leasing the business over to her former employee Chelle Klein, who will become the business owner.Â Buckman said she will help her husband run the Manilla Liquor Store and spend more time with her family.“I’m not retiring,” Buckman said.
A native of Plainfield, N.J., Campbell was a rising high school senior when he won the silver medal in the decathlon at the 1952 Olympics in Helsinki, finishing second to Bob Mathias. The Americans swept the decathlon that year. Four years later, Campbell won gold at the Olympic Games in Melbourne, Australia.“World record holder Rafer Johnson was hampered by injury, but even in full health he probably couldn’t have beaten Milt Campbell in Melbourne,” according to The Complete Book of the Summer Olympics by David Wallechinsky.Campbell had hoped to qualify for the Olympic team as a hurdler, but he finished fourth during tryouts.“I was stunned,” Campbell said in the book. “But then God seemed to reach into my heart and tell me he didn’t want me to compete in the hurdles, but in the decathlon.”The 6-foot-3, 217-pound Campbell, who attended Indiana University, was drafted in 1957 by the Cleveland Browns, where he played one season in the same backfield as Jim Brown. Campbell then played for various teams in the Canadian Football League until his football career in 1964.Campbell was inducted into the National Track and Field Hall of Fame in 1999 and was honored this year by the International Swimming Hall of Fame. In 2000, the New Jersey Sportswriters Association named Campbell its New Jersey Athlete of the Century.In June, he was inducted into the New Jersey Hall of Fame along with nine others, including actor Michael Douglas, author Joyce Carol Oates and the late New York Giants owner Wellington Mara.Rusch said Campbell became a motivational speaker, and maintained a positive outlook despite the loss of a son to cancer and as he himself fought the disease. In addition to Rusch, he is survived by three grown children. GAINESVILLE, Ga. (AP)—Milt Campbell, who became the first African-American to win the Olympic decathlon in 1956 and went on to play pro football and become a motivational speaker, has died, his family said. He was 78. MILT CAMPBELL Linda Rusch, Campbell’s partner of 13 years, said Campbell died Nov. 2 at his home in Gainesville, about 55 miles northwest of Atlanta. She said he had been fighting prostate cancer for a decade.“He was extremely disciplined,” Rusch told The Associated Press on Saturday. “He had huge passion. For you to win the gold you have to be so self-motivated and so self-disciplined. And you have to have a very strong mind.”“He literally had to train himself to have this incredible mind, to be such a positive thinker,” she added. “He carried that way of life throughout his whole entire being.” FIRST BLACK DECATHALON WINNER—This July 26, 1952 file photo shows Milt Campbell, center, of Plainfield, N.J. getting set to clear the final hurdle to make him the winner in the fifth heat of the 110-meter hurdles event in the Olympic decathlon at Helsinki, Finland.
However, two of the wins came early in the season when Beaver Valley, well wasn’t, Beaver Valley.Nelson leads the series offensively 21-15.However, one game Nelson blitzed the Hawks 8-0 early in the season.The Nitehawks, fresh from a split in the Okanagan Shuswap Conference against 100 Mile House and Kamloops, are once again on top of the Murdoch Division with a 28-11-1-0-4 record, five points ahead of second place Castlegar and eight points up on the Leafs.Beaver Valley is 6-2 in the month of January while Nelson — 2-3-1-1 — has struggled with injuries.The Hawks are led Fruitvale native Mitch Foyle with 49 points and team-high 27 goals. Foyle is currently riding a five-game point streak.The Leafs top scorer is defenceman Robson Cramer, who inked a letter of intent to play at Simon Fraser University next season.Cramer also had 49 points, with 18 goals.Game time is 7 p.m. Is Wednesday Nelson/Beaver Valley clash going to be a playoff preview or just two teams playing out the string?The Nelson Leafs certainly hope it’s not the latter as the Green and White play host to the defending Kootenay International Junior Hockey League champions Wednesday at the NDCC Arena.The game is the second to last time the teams meet during the regular season.The two Murdoch rivals conclude the regular campaign Tuesday, February 3, in Fruitvale.Nelson, which managed to right the Good Ship Leaf this past weekend with three points in two games, holds a slight advantage in the series with a 3-2-1 record.
The Trafalgar Totems have been burning up the West Kootenay High School Junior Girl’s Basketball circuit of late.The Totems are 4-2 on the season as the squad builds for West Kootenay playoff action later this month. Mallard’s Source for sports is eager to applaud the Totem squad by crowning the hoopsters Team of the Week.The team includes, coaches Willis Parnell and Carla DeBiasio, Sophie Borhi, Amanda Creak, Taylor Harrison, Cameron Parnell, Ava Young, Sophie Edney, Byrce Winters, Brynn Belland, Michaela Anderson, Ashley Caponero, Reece Hunt, Rylee Zondervan and Kirsten Van Horne.
The last time the Nelson Leafs faced Creston Valley the Thunder Cats drilled the Green and White 7-1 in the East Kootenay City during a penalty-filled contest.Saturday night, in the rematch at the NDCC Arena, there was a first-period tilt between Jordan Unger of the Leafs and Cats’ Liam Rycroft but no offensive outburst by the current leaders of the Kootenay International Junior Hockey League.Instead it was the lowly Leafs skating away with a 4-2 victory as Nelson sent a message to the rest of the league that maybe life does remain in the Heritage City franchise. Jack Karran, Colum Mcgauley, newcomer Alex Meeker and Andy Fitzpatrick score for Nelson, which has won two consecutive games after dropping eight of 10 in November.Aigne McGeady-Bruce had three assists for Nelson while Meeker and Kyle Rosolowski each finished the game with two points.Paxton Malone, playing his first game in a Thunder Cats uniform after begin acquired Friday from the Spokane Braves for future considerations, and Justen James replied for Creston Valley.Leafs new goalie Billy Gorn registered his first win as a Leaf, stopping 27 or 29 shots.Former Leaf Patrick Ostermann took the loss for Creston Valley.Nelson, improving to 11-14-0-0-2, hosts Grand Forks Border Bruins Sunday at 7 p.m. in the NDCC Arena.BLUELINES: Creston remains the top team in the KIJHL with 42 points, four ahead of Beaver Valley Nitehawks. . . . Three new players were in the lineup Saturday for Nelson. Alex Meeker, Kyle Rosolowski and netminder Billy Gorn all saw their first action as a Nelson Leafs and each contributed — Meeker and Rosolowski each finishing the game with two points and Gorn providing solid goaltending in the Leaf nets. . . .Creston, host of the 2017 Cyclone Taylor Cup, was one of a number of teams looking for attract the services of Paxton Malone, the KIJHL’s leading scorer. The Cats won the Paxton Malone sweepstakes.
Lofa County District#4 Representative Hon. Mariamu B. Fofana has submitted for enactment a bill entitled, ‘An act to establish the National Disaster Management Agency, Republic of Liberia.’The bill was presented Tuesday, November 11, the 19th day sitting of its extraordinary session on Capitol Hill.The draft law intends to create an independent institution that will manage disasters, including wars, epidemics, landslide, flood, fire, sea erosion, windstorms, and rainstorms.“Having realized the numerous occurrences of natural disasters in Africa and the increased frequency and magnitude of hazards such as floods and sea erosion in Liberia, have given the impetus for a National Disaster Risk Management Policy for Liberia,” Rep. Fofana’s letter said.“This impetus is also driven by a need to reduce the risk related to these hazards as results of high vulnerability from over 14 years of war, poverty and low human and physical capacity.”The letter added: “Unfortunately, the level of preparedness to such disasters is inadequate leaving the country highly vulnerable to the consequences of disaster.”After the Act’s submission in plenary, a motion was filed by Montserrado County District#10 Hon. Julius F. Barrian that the Bill be turned over to the committees on Ways, Means and Finance, Judiciary and Internal Affairs as lead committee for an advisement in about two weeks. The motion was unanimously carried.Meanwhile, the House of Representatives has extended its Constituency Break by one month, beginning Tuesday, November 12 to Friday, December 12, 2014.The Certificate of Extension from the Lower House was moved.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
A Letterkenny woman has spoken of her horror as her workplace went into lockdown as an attack on two crowded mosques in Christchurch during afternoon prayers left 49 people dead. Mary Dunne from in Illistrin in Letterkenny works as a teacher near where the attack happened.The Masjid al Noor in central Christchurch was filled with worshippers when the attack happened, as was the second mosque in suburban Linwood. Forty-one people were killed at the Al Noor mosque, seven at a mosque in the Linwood neighbourhood and one died in hospital, police said.Speaking following the ordeal, Ms. Dunne said: “Myself and all the specialists, psychologists and the teachers all had to stay in the school for about two hours after the attack.“We had to lock up the gates of the property, we locked all the doors, we had to pull all the blinds and we were in basic darkness and we just had to sit there and wait it out.”Police said three people were in custody including one man in his late 20s who had been charged with murder. The Irish embassy in New Zealand says it’s monitoring the situation and says any Irish people in Christchurch can contact them.The Irish Ambassador for New Zealand Peter Ryan said the resilience of the Irish nurses and doctors working in the aftermath of the atrocity in Christchurch is “inspiring”.In a statement, the President offered the sympathy of the Irish people to the families of the victims and expressed the solidarity of the people of Ireland with the people of New Zealand.President Higgins said: “This attack on innocent lives at places of worship for a religious community will be condemned by all those who believe in freedom and democratic values.”Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has described the attack as “horrific, harrowing news” and encouraged “tolerance and openness” over “hate”. He said: “Irish people share a deep affinity with the people of New Zealand, whether it’s through rugby, travel or pride in our culture as small island nations.“New Zealand and its people are open, tolerant and welcoming. We join them today, united in our condemnation of this appalling attack and determined in our resolve that hate will not triumph.“I will be writing to Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern to express sincere sympathies and support. I would also like to pay tribute to the valiant work of Christchurch’s emergency services.”Donegal woman describes her horror of Christchurch mosque attack was last modified: March 18th, 2019 by Staff WriterShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:An Taoiseach Leo VaradkarChristchurch attackIrish Presidentletterkenny
18 May 2010Technology giant Google has launched www.youtube.co.za, a South African version of YouTube that offers local users a way to easily discover local content and content producers.When users in South Africa visit the site they will see, for example, the most popular and most viewed videos in South Africa along with local content that closely matches their interests. The local site is YouTube’s first domain on the African continent.“Today YouTube celebrates its fifth anniversary,” Divon Lan, Google’s product manager for Africa, said in a statement on Monday.“It’s amazing to think that what began as a simple idea at a dinner party just a few short years ago has grown into a global platform where anyone can create, share and discover the world through online video.”Working with local broadcastersIn conjunction with launching the South African domain, Google is also teaming up with South African broadcasters to ensure that YouTube users, wherever they may be, have access to some of the best locally produced content.These include the South African Broadcasting Corporation and e.tv, who have uploaded news content, including content about the soccer fever building up in South Africa.Showcasing aspiring talentSouth African journalism schools, such as Rhodes Journalism School and Wits Journalism School, are also using YouTube to showcase aspiring journalists’ talent and highlight news items that are frequently under-reported.“All in all, we are pleased to be deepening our roots in South Africa and look forward to working with South African users, partners and advertisers to make the YouTube community even bigger, even more diverse and even brighter than it is today,” said Lan.SAinfo reporterWould you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See: Using SAinfo material
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest Lora Howell from Danville won $25,000 worth of precision equipment for her farming operation from Ag Leader Technology.With the help of Evan Watson with Precision Agri Services, Inc., Howell created a video to share her story and participate in the national contest. The video of her farm to got her into the top three and Ag Leader selected the winner and announced the results in early August.“In case you don’t know us and our story, my dad passed away a few years back and when most people told my mom to downsize, she said, ‘I can do this,’” said Linsey Howell, Lora’s daughter. “Today, my mom and 14-year-old brother Justin, are successfully farming 500 acres and running livestock all while showing sheep competitively across the country!”She was the only Ohio contestant that made the top three and Ohio voters supported her until the July 20 deadline. Lora is a fourth generation farmer who manages the Farm Service Agency office out of Millersburg while maintaining 500 acre operation of corn, soybean, wheat, hay along with raising cattle, sheep, and goats.
As many as 60 government school teachers have been suspended for allegedly using fake B.Ed. degrees to get the jobs, a Uttar Pradesh Education department official said on Wednesday. District Basic Shiksha Adhikari (BSA) Chandra Shekhar said the teachers, all of who were earlier transferred from Mathura to other districts, will also face legal action. The official said over 4,500 government school teachers across the state who got jobs on the basis of fake B.Ed. degrees or other certificates have been identified so far. Efforts are on to take speedy action against them, Mr. Shekhar said. The BSAs of different districts are identifying location of such teachers by sharing information, Mr. Shekhar said, adding that the number may swell further as probe is on.