Call for the release of two journalists held following raid on newspaper

first_img News Reporters Without Borders today called on the Gambian government to release The Independent’s managing director, Madi Ceesay, who has been held since a police raid on the biweekly’s offices yesterday, and its editor, Musa Saidykhan, who was arrested the previous night. The two men spent the night in the Major Crimes Unit at Banjul police station and are still being held there. RSF_en Organisation Gambia still needs to address challenges to press freedom Follow the news on Gambia August 6, 2020 Find out more News to go further March 29, 2006 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Call for the release of two journalists held following raid on newspaper July 23, 2019 Find out more News January 27, 2020 Find out more Receive email alerts News Gambia: former president must stand trial for journalist’s murder Reporters Without Borders today called on the Gambian government to release The Independent’s managing director, Madi Ceesay, who has been held since a police raid on the biweekly’s offices yesterday, and its editor, Musa Saidykhan, who was arrested the previous night.Gambia Press Union coordinator Demba Ali Jawo told Reporters Without Borders at noon today that “the two men spent the night in the Major Crimes Unit at Banjul police station and are still being held there.” While Jawo has been able to confirm where they are being detained, he has not been able to visit them. They have not so far been charged.“Gambian journalists are once again paying dearly for the contempt in which they are held by President Yahya Jammeh,” Reporters Without Borders said. “Expressing a critical opinion or publishing irritating reports are viewed as crimes of lèse-majesté in Gambia. Despite the promises it gave to the privately-owned press, Jammeh’s government continues to act in the way to which we are accustomed, with brutal repression.”The press freedom organisation added: “It is time the African Union, the European Union and the United States made President Jammeh understand that such practices are unacceptable.”Police from the Criminal Investigation Department and the elite Police Intervention Unit raided and sealed off The Independent’s offices yesterday morning, arresting all the employees who were there. Everyone was let go later in the day except Ceesay, who recently took over as managing director and who is also the Gambia Press Union’s president, and Saidykhan, who had been arrested at his home at around midnight the night before.The newspaper’s staff think the raid and arrests were prompted by a report in the 27 March issue quoting Halifa Sallah, the leader of the opposition National Alliance for Democracy and Development (NADD), as saying Jammeh was “wealthier than the Gambia” and by a column by Ceesay criticising coups, both an alleged coup plot on 21 March and the coup that brought Jammeh to power in 1994.Secretary of state for communication and information Neneh Macdouall Gaye assured the Gambian press on 14 February that, in the run-up an African Union summit due to be held in Banjul in July, the government was determined to usher in a “new era” in its relations with the privately-owned media. But at the same time, she asked journalists to “give a positive image” of Gambia.Saidykhan was previously arrested on 27 October for publicly calling on South African president Thabo Mbeki to press the Gambian government for progress in the investigation into the December 2004 murder of journalist Deyda Hydara, which is still unsolved.The Independent was the target of repeated operations by Gambia’s National Intelligence Agency (NIA) in 2003 and 2004 and its owners, fearing for their safety, live abroad. Its former editor, Abdoulie Sey, was arrested and detained illegally for several days, while the newspaper’s press was set on fire, probably by members of the presidential guard.Hydara was gunned down at the wheel of his car on the night of 16 December 2004 as he was driving two employees home. He was the co-founder and editor of The Point, a newspaper published three times a week, as well as being the Banjul correspondent of Agence France-Presse (AFP) and Reporters Without Borders.He had often been threatened for publicly criticising the government, and was under surveillance by the NIA on the night of his murder, Reporters Without Borders established in the course of two investigative visits to Banjul. Help by sharing this information Three journalist arrested, two radio stations closed in Gambia GambiaAfrica GambiaAfrica last_img read more

Kenneth Griffin makes largest gift in Harvard College history

first_imgHarvard University announced today that alumnus Kenneth Griffin ’89, founder and chief executive officer of Citadel, has made the largest gift in Harvard College history. The $150 million gift is principally focused on supporting Harvard’s financial aid program, which Griffin described as “an investment in the next generation of leaders as we continue to break down barriers to an outstanding education.”Griffin’s gift, which will impact as many as 800 undergraduates every year, will:Establish a cohort of 200 Griffin scholarship recipientsProvide matching funds through the new Griffin Leadership Challenge Fund for Financial Aid for 600 new scholarships to inspire other alumni and friends to contribute to Harvard College’s financial aid programThis year also marks the 10th anniversary of the Harvard Financial Aid Initiative (HFAI), a groundbreaking effort to make the College more accessible to outstanding students around the world. HFAI ensures that qualified students of all backgrounds have access to a Harvard education, underpinning Harvard’s need-blind admission policy. The Class of 2017 has 431 HFAI recipients, more than any previous freshman class.Griffin, who will celebrate his 25th Harvard College class reunion in May, has long been a leader in financial aid initiatives at Harvard. In 1999, in his 10th reunion year, Griffin established a scholarship named in honor of his grandfather, Wayne R. Gratz. He also served on the Faculty of Arts and Sciences (FAS) Financial Aid Task Force, which approved a new financial aid case statement for the College and focused on raising support from alumni. HFAI launched during this period.“Ken Griffin’s extraordinary philanthropy is opening Harvard’s gates wider to the most talented students in the world, no matter their economic circumstances,” said Drew Gilpin Faust, president of Harvard University and Lincoln Professor of History. “Harvard is more accessible than ever before, and, with an increased focus on teaching, learning, and research across the University, we are better prepared to educate young scholars in all areas of academic inquiry.”Faust added that Griffin’s investment in financial aid will ensure HFAI’s continued success and create a more vibrant educational environment for all Harvard students.“It is extremely important that students of all backgrounds have the opportunity to challenge themselves, learn to solve complex problems, and ultimately better our world,” said Griffin, who started his career as an investor from his Cabot House dorm room. “My goal with this gift is to help ensure that Harvard’s need-blind admission policy continues, and that our nation’s best and brightest have continued access to this outstanding institution.”“Ken’s astounding philanthropic leadership has set financial aid — one of the most important priorities of the College’s capital campaign—on a lasting foundation,” said Michael D. Smith, FAS dean and John H. Finley Jr. Professor of Engineering and Applied Sciences. “Ken’s gift will help us sustain our revolutionary financial aid program and ensure that once a student is admitted to Harvard College, cost of attendance is never a barrier. It will impact the lives of students and their families, now and for generations to come.”While the cost of higher education has increased nationally, Harvard remains firmly committed to a need-blind admission policy that meets every student’s demonstrated need through financial aid. Since 2007, Harvard’s budget for undergraduate financial aid has increased by 88 percent, so that today:Sixty percent of undergraduates receive Harvard financial aid, limiting what those families pay for tuition, room, and board combined to an average of $12,000 per year.Twenty percent of Harvard College families pay nothing toward the cost of their students’ attendance — including tuition, room, board, and some incidental expenses — because they earn less than $65,000 per year.Families that earn between $65,000 and $150,000 per year pay no more than 10 percent of their income, depending on individual family circumstances.In recognition of Griffin’s generosity and commitment to Harvard’s financial aid program, the Harvard College Office of Financial Aid will be renamed the Griffin Financial Aid Office, and the head of that office will be known as the Griffin Director of Financial Aid.Griffin’s gift includes $10 million to establish a professorship at Harvard Business School (HBS). The new Griffin Professorship of Business Administration will support an outstanding faculty member who excels in teaching and the case method, and who generates the field-based intellectual capital that advances the practice of management. HBS Dean Nitin Nohria expressed his appreciation for Griffin’s gift. “Our faculty are at the core of our mission of educating leaders who make a difference in the world. Ken’s gift will help us achieve that,” he said.Faust also praised Griffin’s decision to establish an HBS professorship, underscoring what she termed “our shared belief in the importance of attracting both world-class students and unparalleled faculty in each of our Schools.”Griffin earned a bachelor’s degree in economics in 1989. He founded Citadel in 1990, and the firm has grown into one of the most successful financial institutions in the world.Griffin is an active supporter of various boards, including the Chicago Public Education Fund, the Economic Club of Chicago, and the Art Institute of Chicago.last_img read more

Zimbabwe lose two after Mushfiqur Rahim’s 203*, Haque 132

first_imgMUSHFIQUR Rahim hit his third Test double century as Bangladesh declared their first innings with a lead of 295 Monday in their one-off match against Zimbabwe.Bangladesh ended their innings on 560 for six in the final session before spinner Nayeem Hasan then claimed two wickets in two balls in the first over in Dhaka.The visitors reached nine for two at stumps on the third day, still needing 286 runs to make Bangladesh bat again on a wearing pitch at the Sher-e-Bangla National Stadium.Mushfiqur, who became  the highest run-scorer for Bangladesh in Tests, hit an unbeaten 203, while skipper Mominul Haque made 132, after the hosts resumed on 240 for three.Mushfiqur and Mominul added 222 for the fourth wicket, while wicketkeeper-batsman Liton Das made 53 to give the hosts their highest-ever total against Zimbabwe.Mominul declared the innings soon after Mushfiqur reached the 200-run mark after Ainsley Ndlovu past extra cover for a boundary.Nayeem struck with the second ball of the innings, bowling Prince Masvaure for a duck, before dismissing nightwatchman Doland Tiripano.Bangladesh made Zimbabwe wait until the second session of the day for their first success, when Ndlovu took a brilliant reflex catch off his own bowling to dismiss Mominul.Mominul had brought up his ninth Test hundred off 156 balls, joining teammate Tamim Iqbal as Bangladesh’s most prolific century-makers in the five-day format.Mominul, unbeaten on 79 overnight, struck 14 fours in his 234-ball innings — his first hundred since becoming Bangladesh Test captain in November.Mushfiqur, who resumed on 32, was one run short of his century at lunch but did not take long after the break to bring up his hundred, cutting Ndlovu for a boundary through cover point.Ndlovu removed Mohammad Mithun for 17 to give Zimbabwe hope and slow the Bangladeshi scoring rate.Mithun got a bottom edge as he tried to cut Ndlovu as wicketkeeper Regis Chakabva took his fourth catch of the innings.Liton fell to off-spinner Sikandar Raza trying to cut a ball that was too close to his body as Zimbabwe wicketkeeper Regis Chakabva completed his fifth catch in the innings.After Liton’s dismissal, it was Mushfiqur all over as the senior Bangladesh campaigner attacked in pursuit of his double century.At 195 runs he also overtook Tamim to become Bangladesh’s highest run-getter. He now has 4,413 runs from 70 Tests, with Tamim scoring 4,364 from 59.Zimbabwe skipper Craig Ervine top-scored with 107 in the visitors’ first innings of 265, while Bangladesh paceman Abu Jayed and Nayeem claimed four wickets each.ZIMBABWE 1st innings 265Bangladesh 1st innings(o/n240-3Tamim Iqbal c Regis Chakabva b Donald Tiripano 41Saif Hassan c Regis Chakabva b Victor Nyauchi 8Nazmul Hossain Shanto c Regis Chakabva b Charlton Tshuma 71Mominul Haque c&b Ainsley Ndlovu 132Mushfiqur Rahim Not Out 203Mohammad Mithun c Regis Chakabva b Ainsley Ndlovu 17Liton Das c Regis Chakabva b Sikandar Raza 53Taijul Islam Not Out 14Extras 8b 3lb 5nb 0pen 5w 21Total (154.0 overs) 560 declFall of Wickets : 1-18 Hassan, 2-96 Iqbal, 3-172 Shanto, 4-394 Haque, 5-421 Ali, 6-532 DasDid Not Bat : Chowdhury, Hossain, HasanBowling : Donald Tiripano 30 – 6 – 96 – 1 (4w 2nb),Victor Nyauchi 27 – 3 – 87 – 1 (1w 2nb),Sikandar Raza 30 – 2 – 111 – 1 (1nb),Charlton Tshuma 25 – 2 – 85 – 1,Ainsley Ndlovu 42 – 4 – 170 – 2.ZIMBABWE 2nd inningsPrince Masvaure b Nayeem Hasan 0Kevin Kasuza Not Out 8Donald Tiripano c Liton Das b Nayeem Hasan 0Brendan Taylor Not Out 1Extras 0b 0lb 0nb 0pen 0w 0Total (5.0 overs) 9-2Fall of Wickets : 1-0 Masvaure, 2-0 TiripanoTo Bat : Ervine, Maruma, Butt, Chakabva, Nyauchi, Ndlovu, TshumaBowling : Nayeem Hasan 3 – 1 – 4 – 2, Taijul Islam 2last_img read more

Angels Notes: Mike Trout is ‘searching for some timing’

first_imgAsked how he’s feeling, Trout expanded toward the collective. Angels at Astros: Sunday game time, TV channel, starting pitchers On Saturday, Scioscia conceded that it might be an issue, but he’s not sure.“The spin rates and velocity, everything says the ball is coming out of his hand well,” Scioscia said. “But the command isn’t there. That could be an indicator (of fatigue). We’ll see. He could just be a little out of sync too. Some of that is going to be tough to measure.”ALSOA day after Ben Revere collected his fifth hit in his past eight pinch-hitting appearances, Scioscia said the Angels don’t really have a way to get him in the everyday lineup. He said Revere can only play left and center, positions manned by Justin Upton and Mike Trout. “As far as being creative, there aren’t many things we can do,” Scioscia said. “The guys who are out there are guys you want to get everyday at-bats for.” …Upton had the 16th multi-homer game of his career, his second with the Angels. Upton has hit .282 with a .400 on-base percentage and six homers since the Angels acquired him. Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error Playoff hopes fade for Angels as losing streak reaches 6 “It’s frustrating for sure, but we got to come in tomorrow, we’ve got eight games left, got to try to finish strong,” Trout said.Scioscia said he’s hoping that Trout can find the elusive timing again quickly: “Sometimes it just takes one foul ball or taking one pitch when you feel your timing, and now you’re locked in again.STRUGGLING PETITYusmeiro Petit has allowed three runs in each of his past two games, both times entering with the game tied. It’s been a dramatic shift for a pitcher who, up until this week, had been arguably the Angels’ most valuable reliever.Petit had a 2.09 ERA before the last two games, with much of his value because he is able to pitch multiple innings.The obvious, question, is whether Petit’s 86 innings – including a major-league leading 83⅔ as a reliever – have caught up to him. Asked after Wednesday’s game if he’s getting tired, Petit said no. HOUSTON — While a Mike Trout slump looks much different than a slump for most every other player in the majors – because he’s always going to draw enough walks to keep the lineup moving – the Angels star is nonetheless struggling at a time when his team can least afford it.“Mike is searching for some timing, no doubt about it,” Manger Mike Scioscia before Trout went hitless, with two called third strikes, on Saturday.Over his past 29 games, Trout has hit .218. His hard-hit rate, according to FanGraphs, was 29.3 percent in September, before Saturday’s game. That would be his lowest percentage for a month since April 2013.Related Articleslast_img read more