Governor-elect Shumlin sends letter to Vermont school board members regarding recommended tax rate

first_imgGovernor-elect Shumlin sent the following letter to Vermont school board members today regarding the tax rate recommended by the acting Tax Commissioner, Ellen Tofferi. The letter suggests that the current tax rate will continue for 2012 and that the one-time, $19 million federal contribution could be used to bridge the expected shortfall in funding over the next two years.The Shumlin and Tofferi letters follow: December 1, 2010Dear School Board Member,Thank you for your hard work to maintain the quality of our public schools and contain costs.  I am deeply grateful for your commitment to Vermont’s children.  It is due, in large part, to your hard work that our students have access to one of the best education systems in the country.  As we both understand well, our state’s economic success and future relies on this quality.  In addition, your work to keep FY2011 spending at a level rate is critical and greatly appreciated by all Vermonters.Given the uncertainty around achieving budget reduction targets and allowing for the Legislature to be involved with the determination of how to best allocate the additional $19 million in one-time funds, it seems prudent to work on the expectation of maintaining the current tax rates for 2012 that the acting tax commissioner has recently recommended.I know that this year the task before you is even more daunting as you have been asked to meet Act 146’s directive of reducing education spending by $23.2 million in FY2012.  I appreciate your understanding of the need to meet this goal and also understand that it may take a little longer to make the kinds of changes necessary to achieve the savings targets.  I remain supportive of using the $19 million in additional one-time federal funds as bridge financing over one or two years to accomplish the necessary cost savings.  I look forward to working with the legislature to develop a specific plan in this regard.  I do not support using the one-time federal funds for anything other than supporting our schools or lowering property taxes.Thank you again for your hard work and dedication to our state.Sincerely, Governor-elect Peter Shumlinlast_img read more

Plea to bare Duterte’s health record ‘unsubstantiated’ – SC

first_imgIn response to the petition, the SC said these were “merely based on what he perceived from the online news articles discussing the President’s illnesses,” which the SC has consistently characterized such articles as “hearsay evidence.” MANILA – The Supreme Court has dismissed a petition compelling President Rodrigo Duterte to release his medical records to the public. The lawyer alleged that Duterte had been absent from engagements for health reasons, had “prolonged absences” from the public view, and appeared incoherent in COVID-19 public addresses. “Further, the President’s regular televised addresses to the nation as regards the government’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic show that the President has been actively performing his official duties,” the court added. In a resolution that was made public on Wednesday, the High Court justices threw out the petition of lawyer Dino De Leon as it was based on “conjectures and unsubstantiated.” “Apparently, petitioner’s allegation that the President is seriously ill is unsubstantiated and is based merely on petitioner’s surmises and conjectures regarding his perception of the declining health of the President,” it further said./PNcenter_img “Based on the allegations in the petition itself, petitioner failed to establish the existence of a clear legal right that was violated, or that he is entitled to the writ of mandamus prayed for,” the SC said. He also cited the President’s several illnesses, such as Buerger’s disease, Barrett’s esophagus, gastroesophageal reflux disease, spinal issues, daily migraines, and myasthenia gravis. “After a punctilious evaluation of the petition, the Court finds that the averments and arguments in the petition failed to establish a prima facie case for mandamus, i.e., that the reliefs sought constitute ministerial duties on the part of respondents, and that there is a clear legal right on petitioner’s part to demand the performance of these ministerial duties,” the SC said. De Leon filed a petition for mandamus earlier this year asking that the Office of the President be ordered to disclose President Duterte’s health records since he assumed office.last_img read more

AVB needs third – Allardyce

first_img He added: “He’s done great hasn’t he taking over from Harry? But fourth is the same as Harry and you know what we’re like in football – they’ll say ‘Oh well, Harry done that’. “I think they’re good enough to finish third or fourth. I don’t think there’s any doubt about that. I think if they continue to maintain the top players fit they’ve got a really good chance and they might even get into that third spot. I was particularly impressed with them when we played them, their front line was outstanding.” Gareth Bale scored once with ex-Hammer Jermain Defoe bagging a brace as Spurs ran out 3-1 winners when the two sides met at White Hart Lane in November. But Allardyce has overseen wins over the likes of Chelsea at Upton Park, where his side have also held Manchester United and Manchester City to draws. And the 58-year-old believes home advantage could prove the difference on Monday. “You can only be as good as your players are. If you’ve got great players you’ll get the results and I think they’ve got some great players at Tottenham and they’re really producing,” he said. “We know we’ve got a game on our hands on Monday but we’re a different team at home and we enjoy playing against the big boys. It seems to bring the best out of our players and hopefully it will be the same on Monday.” West Ham boss Sam Allardyce believes Andre Villas-Boas has to guide Tottenham to a place in the top three of the Barclays Premier League to truly win over the club’s supporters. Villas-Boas replaced Harry Redknapp as Spurs boss after chairman Daniel Levy sacked the 65-year-old despite the former Portsmouth manager guiding the club to fourth place last season. The Hammers entertain Spurs on Monday night with Villas-Boas’ side currently occupying fourth spot once more, but Allardyce said: “They’ve got to finish higher than fourth haven’t they? That’s the pressure for him.” center_img Press Associationlast_img read more

Outright wins for Transport, Police in GCA Noble House Seafoods two-day cricket

first_imgTRANSPORT Sports Club (TSC) and Police Sports Club (PSC) registered outright wins last weekend when action continued in the Georgetown Cricket Association (GCA) Noble House Seafoods Two-Day Cricket Competition. At Eve Leary ground, the Lawmen were able to build from the in-form Andrew Lyght Jr, who slammed a magnificent 123 on the opening day to help team to 323-9 from 61.5 overs against the visiting Everest Cricket Club (ECC).The Police bowlers then delivered, to hand their side an innings and 117-run victory.Off-spinners Rocky Hutson and Pernell London took 14 of the 20 Everest wickets that fell.Sixteen-year-old Nabeel Ali, on debut, contributed towards TSC’s victoryAfter pegging back Everest at 61-5 off 27 overs after day one, Hutson would continue to tempt the visiting cricketers with his flighted deliveries to end with figures of 6-24 from 14.1 overs. London supported with 3-37 from 11 overs as Everest were restricted to 100 all out in 38.1 overs. When Police enforced the follow-on, the spinning duo were at it again. Hutson captured 3-10 from 6.3 overs, while London finished with 2-22 from four overs.Captain of the side Keston Harcourt, who opened the bowling, finished with 3-12, while fellow opening bowler Paul Tyndall nabbed 2-28 from nine overs to restrict Everest to 106 in 34 overs.  Denesh Mangal and Aaron Beharry were the only resistance. They finished with 34 and 31 runs respectively.At the Queen’s College ground, TSC were able to bowl out Bel Air Rubis II for 84 after they lost the toss. By the end of day one, they were ahead at 111-6 off 21 overs.Devaughn Nandan had scored 69 after belting a whopping nine sixes and two fours in quick time.On Sunday morning TSC were able to reach 219 (135 lead) before they were bowled out.Kevin Ross and debutant Nabeel Ali hit 38 and 36 runs respectively towards the end.Sixteen-year-old Ali, who batted at number 11, finished not out. Bel Air’s opening bowler Dillon led the attack with 4-32 from 10 overs. In their second innings Bel Air were restricted for 106 all out in 34.3 overs, which resulted in TSC winning by an innings and 29 runs.Pacer Mark Baptiste led the attack with 3-30 from 11 overs, while there were two wickets each for Rafael Singh, Kevin Ross and another debutant Ajay Gainda.  Meanwhile GDF also gained first-innings points over home team MYO. Batting first, GDF made 297 all out in 53.4 overs after Deamon Whitney finished with 84 not out (13×4, 1×6). Support came from Damian Waldron who scored 73 (10×4, 4×6) and Randy Lindore with 49 (10×4).Niran Bissu led the attack with 5-84 from 13 overs, while Kemraj Ramdeen and Rudolph Singh took two wickets each.Waldron then spun his way to 5-29 from 13 overs, which skittled out MYO for 130 all out in 36 overs.  Travis Marcellino and Jamal Chisholm supported with two wickets each while Bissu (25) and Avinash Rajkumar (24) finished with the most runs for the home team.After GDF enforced the follow-on, MYO were able to reach 136-6 in 34 overs, before both captains agreed to call off the encounter with one over remaining in the day’s play.Ramdeen led from the front with an unbeaten 61 (1×4).  Waldron was again in the mix. He and Marcellino finished with three wickets each. THIS WEEKEND’S FIXTURESGCA cricket continues this weekend with several New Building Society (NBS) Second Division 40-over matches.Diplomats will travel to Malteenoes Sports Club ground to take on the host team, while GYO and MYO will battle at the MYO ground.Third Class will meet GCC at Bourda, ECC will host Sophia and GNIC will challenge Ace Warriors at the QC ground. Also hosting will be Police, when they take on TSC and DCC when they meet Bel Air Rubis II.On Sunday, the competition continues with three matches. Police will play DCC at Eve Leary ground in a key clash while TSC will host Sophia. MYO and Diplomats will battle it out at the QC ground.last_img read more

Cassidy Barrios Earns First Women’s Basketball Weekly Award of 2017-18

first_imgIn a hard-fought 68-61 loss at SMU in the Colonels’ season opener, one of the Southland’s most versatile contributors notched a double-double. Nicholls (0-1) next turns its sight to Spring Hill College at home Tuesday at 6 p.m. before hosting Jacksonville on Saturday at 1 p.m. Women’s Basketball Player of the Week – Cassidy Barrios, Nicholls – Jr. – Guard – Raceland, La.Barrios led Nicholls to a near victory in its opener at SMU, finishing with 18 points and a career-high 16 rebounds. She went the distance in the game and shot 4-10 from the field with one three-pointer and was 9-10 at the charity stripe. A Third Team All-Conference selection last season, the Raceland, La., native added three assists, two steals and a block to go along with her ninth career double-double. Southland weekly award winners are nominated and voted upon by each school’s sports information director. Voting for one’s own athlete is not permitted. To earn honorable mention, a student-athlete must appear on 25 percent of ballots. 2017-18 Southland Women’s Basketball Week 2 Notes (PDF)FRISCO, Texas – Nicholls junior guard Cassidy Barrios earned the first women’s basketball weekly award of the season, the conference announced Monday. Southland Conference Players of the Week are presented by UniversalCoin.com. Honorable Mention: Jenniffer Oramas, Sam Houston State; Mercedes Rogers, McNeese.last_img read more