Thrive Grants Expand Work on Healthy Eating in Publicly Funded Places

first_imgNova Scotians working in or using publicly funded institutions will soon have more options for healthy eating. The province has announced $350,000 in grants to support new healthy eating policies, menus, training and equipment in health-care settings, sport and recreation facilities, post-secondary schools and provincial and municipal government offices. “Healthy eating needs to be the easy choice where we live, learn, work and play,” said David Wilson, Minister of Health and Wellness. “We already have nationally recognized comprehensive healthy eating policies and standards in schools and child-cares. Now the government is supporting local efforts to improve healthy eating in a wider range of public places.” Expanding food policies in publicly funded institutions is a government commitment through Thrive!, a plan for a healthier Nova Scotia. The plan addresses childhood obesity and preventable chronic disease through 34 actions focused on healthy eating and physical activity. “Our council advocates for food policies that increase access to affordable healthy eating options for Nova Scotians,” said Annick Arseneau, chair, Nova Scotia Nutrition Council. “So I am very pleased that the Department of Health and Wellness is offering grants to help institutions create supportive environments for healthy eating.” Funding of up to $15,000 is available for collaborative and innovative local support of healthy eating policies. Applications are due Wednesday, Jan. 9, 2013 by 4 p.m. Learn more at http://thrive.novascotia.ca.last_img read more

UN peacekeepers face armed groups and street gangs in Haitian capital

The Secretary-General’s Special Representative for Haiti, Juan Gabriel Valdés, told UN Radio last night that he met again with interim Prime Minister Gerard Latortue and other senior officials to discuss how to better control the situation.”I am more optimistic now on how we will manage in the future to ensure more efficiently the protection of civilians,” Mr. Valdés said in an interview given in French. But he warned that the situation remains volatile, especially as the UN Stabilization Mission in Haiti (MINUSTAH) has deployed only 40 per cent of its troop numbers so far.Later this month, contingents from China and Pakistan are expected to bolster the international police force in Haiti, while military contingents from Morocco, Spain and Ecuador are scheduled to arrive by the middle of November.Mr. Valdés said political reconciliation between the major forces, dialogue with the former military and the disarmament of armed gangs were essential if Haiti, already battered by dire poverty, instability and the deadly effects of Tropical Storm Jeanne last month, is to overcome its latest problems.Last Thursday several police officers were killed during violent protests by supporters of ousted President Jean-Bertrand Aristide. Four leaders of his Fanmi Lavalas political party were arrested by police at the weekend.Mr. Valdés stressed that MINUSTAH will do its utmost to establish constructive dialogue between the interim Government and the armed groups and to encourage economic opportunities across the country. read more